Rat Restraint (Head/Eye Studies)
- Item Description
- Operation Manual
- Technical Information
- Replacement Parts & Accessories
Specially designed rat restraint system for head, facial or eye studies.
- Durable restraint constructed of cast acrylic will provide years of service
- Designed to safely hold animal in place for sensitive head, facial or eye studies.
- Base allows for easy movement of restrained animal along 2 axis. Comes complete with: 3” inner diameter acrylic tube. 3” nylon insert with thumb screw, two plastic wing nuts, acrylic base with tube holder, five neck restraint plates of varying sizes.
The RR-300 rat restraint was specially designed to hold the animal securely for sensitive head, facial or eye studies. System comes complete with five neck plates that vary in size to accommodate varying sizes of animals. See specifications tab for specific dimensions for neck plates.
The 3” diameter tube utilizes a nylon insert with thumb screw to prevent the animal from backing out during loading and to assist in restraint during studies.
System includes a cast acrylic base that accommodates the restraint tube and allows the user to easily move the tube back and forward as well as rotating clock wise or counter clock wise.
This restraint is ideal for studies that include photographing the eyes or face of the animal as this restraint allows the user to quickly and easily adjust the restraint in the base so that the animal is placed in exactly the same position each time which negates having to adjust fixed cameras. Merely move the restraint, containing the animal, into the exact same position every time.
See tabs below for more detailed information
Made in the USA
- 3” I.D. Body Tube: Constructed of Cast Acrylic. Overall Dimensions: 9” (L) x 3.75” (W) x 3.75” (H)
- Rear Insert (restraint): Constructed of white Delrin acetalOverall Dimensions: 2.88” dia. X ½” thick Contains thumb screw
- Clear acrylic base: Constructed of ½” thick cast acrylic Overall dimensions: 8.75” (W) x 8.75” (D) x 3.75” (H)
- Extra Small Neck restraint plate: Constructed of 1/8” thick Delrin acetal Overall dimensions: 3.75” (W) x 3.75” (H) x 1/8” (thick) Opening width: 0.820”
- Small Neck Restraint plate: Constructed of 1/8” thick Delrin acetal Overall dimensions: 3.75” (W) x 3.75” (H) x 1/8” (thick) Opening width: 0.860”
- Medium neck restraint plate: Constructed of 1/8” thick Delrin acetal Overall dimensions: 3.75” (W) x 3.75” (H) x 1/8” (thick) Opening width: 0.890”
- Large neck restraint plate: Constructed of 1/8” thick Delrin acetal Overall dimensions: 3.75” (W) x 3.75” (H) x 1/8” (thick) Opening width: 0.940”
- Extra Large neck restraint plate: Constructed of 1/8” thick Delrin acetal Overall dimensions: 3.75” (W) x 3.75” (H) x 1/8” (thick) Opening width: 0.970”
The RR-300 Rat restraint is ideal for the functional test of corneal sensitivity. Diabetes may cause a small fiber neuropathy, damage to small nerve fibers in skin and cornea, with symptoms of pain, abnormal sensation or loss of sensation. Typically, damaged small nerves in the cornea lose sensation and our test is designed to detect this loss in diabetic rats. Once restrained, eye drops are applied that irritate the cornea and normally provoke blinking and squinting in a non-diabetic rat, but this response is diminished in a diabetic animal. During the test the animal’s reaction to eye drop application is recorded for several minutes. A collective series of photographic images depicting the visible surface of the eye are analyzed and compared to different experimental groups. With a decrease in sensitivity, the rat will squint less and the measured eye surface will be a larger value when compared to experimental groups that squint more. This method is published in:
Yorek M.S, Davidson E.P., Poolman P., Coppey LJ., Obrosov., Holmes A., Kardon RH., Yorek M.A., Corneal sensitivity to hyperosmolar eye drops: a novel behavioral assay to assess diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Invest Opthalmal Vis Sci 2016, 57(6), : 2412 – 2419. doi: 10.1167/iovs.16-19435
It is important for the purpose of this test that the animal is fully conscious, anaesthetized and that it’s head is positioned in a certain way so that the face and eyes can be observed by a set of several cameras at different angles and without any obstruction in the view. The RR-300 rat restraint fits these conditions and allows lab personnel to conduct the test the way it was designed.
This restraint can be used in many applications requiring detailed study and photography of the eyes, face or head.
- 3” I.D. Acrylic Tube - RR-10
- Base assembly - RR-20
- Extra Small restraint plate - RR-30
- Small Restraint plate - RR-31
- Medium Restraint plate - RR-32
- Large Restraint plate - RR-33
- Extra Large Restraint plate - RR-34
- Adjustable tail slide w/knob - MH-30