Epigenetics, the study of heritable phenotype changes that do not involve changes to the genetic code itself, is one of the most vibrant areas of biological research. Epigenetics research does require specialized supplies and equipment. IBI Scientific fills a major gap as a manufacturer and distributor of epigenetic laboratory supplies.
Importance of Epigenetic Laboratory Research
Since the discovery of DNA in 1953, research has focused on the link between the genetic code, disease, and human behavior. Many thought that with the sequencing of the entire genome in the Human Genome Project in 2003, our understanding the genetic underpinnings of health and disease would be complete.
However, the actual sequence of our DNA is just one source of genetic variability. Epigenetics is a newer area of science that refers to heritable changes in the activity or expression genes outside of changes or mutations to the actual genetic code. Epigenetics research is one of the fastest advancing areas of science, and IBI Scientific is keeping pace by delivering high-quality research supplies.
IBI Scientific Epigenetic Research Supplies
IBI Scientific works hard to anticipate trends in epigenetics research and develop supplies that researchers need most. Some of our best-selling products include:
- Saliva collection. Saliva samples are cost-effective and non-invasive compared to blood. Collecting saliva samples is simple using our IBI Saliva Collection Kit, which includes 2 mL of a stabilization buffer to preserve saliva DNA integrity. After collection, samples are stable at room temperature for several days or may be held at 4°C for up to one month. This DNA kit is optimized for use in either genetic or epigenetic analyses, including Behavioral Diagnostic, Inc.’s Smoke SignatureTM Assay for smoking cessation products.
- Buccal swabs. The IBI gSwab Mini Genomic DNA kit uses a buccal swab or saliva sample to isolate DNA. This DNA kit is ideal for isolating mitochondrial, genomic, and viral DNA with an average yield of 2 𝜇g per buccal swab.
- Cigarette smoking assays. Smoking cessation researchers face unique challenges when trying to quantify cigarette smoking. Smoking data, particularly among high-risk populations, is notoriously unreliable. A newly developed epigenetic assay is based on DNA methylation in the aryl hydrocarbon receptor repressor (AHRR), which provides accurate quantification of cigarette smoking. This Smoke SignatureTM assay uses a small amount of DNA from whole blood to quickly and accurately determine cigarette consumption history, even in the absence of other clinical data.
- DNA test kits. We offer a range of DNA test kits to isolate DNA from blood or other sample sources. Purified DNA can then be subjected to genetic or epigenetic analyses.
Advantage of Choosing IBI Scientific for Epigenetic Research
IBI Scientific has emerged as a leader in the manufacture and distribution of epigenetics research materials.
- Commitment to quality. As an ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturer of life science research products, IBI Scientific has met rigorous standards for quality of reagents and research products. Researchers can be confident that the results they obtain using IBI Scientific products have high reliability and low rates of contamination.
- Fast shipping times. When your lab runs out of a product or reagent, you need to get more fast. We offer fast shipping times to meet your laboratory needs.
- Consolidated orders. Why waste time, effort, and money placing multiple orders across platforms? Consolidate your orders by taking advantage of our extensive range of research products. We strive to meet the needs of life sciences researchers by providing the widest possible array of research products. From smoking cessation tests to quantify cigarette smoking to buccal swabs, we offer the products that your laboratory needs most.
To learn more about our epigenetics laboratory supplies, contact us today. Our knowledgeable customer support specialists can discuss technical specifications of products and guide you through the ordering process.