Laboratories that maintain animal colonies require additional equipment to ensure the humane treatment of animals during scientific experiments. Whether you work with laboratory rats, mice, or other animals, IBI Scientific offers a full range of high-quality products to meet your needs.
Special Considerations When Working with Non-Human Animals
Basic science research depends on non-human animals such as laboratory mice, rats, zebrafish, and other organisms. When choosing supplies and equipments for animal research, it is important to think carefully about your lab needs and institutional requirements. Animal research is usually overseen by an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) at your organization. IACUC reviews laboratory protocols and procedures to ensure that research facilities comply with the Animal Welfare Act, PHS Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and other relevant policies. Thus, your equipment must meet high standards to ensure the ethical treatment of animals.
In addition to ethical considerations, you must have equipment that permits easy, efficient access to animals to ensure experimental success.
Animal Holders and Other Laboratory Equipment
When working with laboratory mice or rats, protocols frequently require the animal to be restrained while injections or other treatments are administered. Poor restraints can lead to animals moving around during the experiment or becoming agitated. Investing in good quality restraints decreases the likelihood of experimental error or animal mistreatment.
- General rodent restraints. IBI Scientific offers mouse and rat restraints in a variety of sizes. Choosing the correct size for your animals will ensure the success of your experiments. All of our restraints are manufactured from high quality cast acrylic. This makes it easy to clean and disinfect between uses.
- Restraint replacement parts. In general, our rodent restraints are built to last. However, replacement nose restraints are occasionally necessary. We offer replacement nose restraints, complete with a nylon nose piece and tightening screw.
- Specialized restraints. For experiments that require photographing or having easy access to the eyes, face, and head, regular animal holders may not suffice. Our RR-300 rat restraint system is specially designed for head, facial, and eye studies. The device securely holds the animal, preventing movement while allowing access to the sensitive facial areas. This system comes with neck plates in five different sizes, allowing you to flexibly deploy the system with varying sizes of animals.
- Restraint stand. When restraining laboratory rats or mice, it is often necessary to obtain tail bleeds for blood samples. Our rat and mice restraint stands hold the animals at a 45-degree angle. This provides easy access to the tail as well as other animal body parts. Our restraint stands work perfectly with all sizes of animal restraints.
- Microinjection molds. Microinjection molds allow laboratory scientists to imprint pools, lanes, or wells with an agarose slurry. The resulting imprints are perfect for containing, viewing, and microinjecting fish. Zebrafish microinjection is a particularly popular application, but the molds are also suitable for frog embryos.
The IBI Scientific Advantage
When you choose IBI Scientific for laboratory supplies, you know you will receive the highest quality supplies at competitive price points. We are a leading manufacturer and distributor of animal holders and zebrafish microinjection molds. IBI Scientific stands out for its commitment to durable, high-quality materials that will last for many years. We are also an ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturer of life sciences research products. This means that we have been assessed and certified to meet stringent requirements for laboratory equipment manufacturing.
Talk to one of our customer service representatives today to discuss your laboratory needs and the animal holders that may be appropriate for your laboratory rats or mice. Our easy online ordering process ensures that you receive the supplies and equipment you need, fast. Start today to experience the IBI Scientific advantage.