Protein science includes studying the structure and function of proteins as well as using proteins such as antibodies or peptides as tools to better understand biological systems. Protein purification and analysis represent core laboratory processes. Using the highest quality laboratory reagents and equipment ensures the success of protein biology experiments.
Protein Science Procedures and Supplies
Protein science is an enormous component of many biological laboratories. Whether your laboratory uses proteins as tools to understand other biological processes or studies the structure and function of specific proteins as the center of your investigation, IBI Scientific carries the supplies you need. Some common areas of protein biology include:
- Immunohistochemistry. Immunohistochemistry is a core biological technique to identify specific proteins. Immunohistochemistry capitalizes on tagged antibodies, which bind to antigens in biological tissues. Visualizing the antibody-antigen interaction can be achieved through a color-producing or fluorescent reaction. This permits identification and visualization of proteins of interest. We provide immunohistochemistry reagents as well as high-quality staining trays with capacity for 12 or 24 slides.
- Dialysis and electroelution. After isolating a target protein in a gel matrix (as with Western blotting), researchers use electroelution for extraction and protein purification. Our MIDI FlexTubes used in conjunction with an electroelution support tray permits the extraction of proteins, RNA, DNA, and oligonucleotides from a gel matrix.
- Protease inhibitors. Exogenous or endogenous proteases can gradually degrade proteins in cell extracts or tissue, presenting challenges for researchers. IBI Scientific’s protease inhibitor cocktail offers a special formulation optimized to preserve protein functionality following cell lysis. This cocktail is available with or without EDTA.
- Protein solubilization. In their natural state, proteins aggregate and form bonds with other proteins. In protein science, these interactions must be disrupted to prevent aggregation or precipitation of proteins. High-quality reagents such as our Nonidet P-40 substitute denature cell membranes and solubilize proteins without denaturing them.
- Recombinant proteins. A recombinant protein is the product of recombinant DNA that leads to the expression of a mutant protein. By cloning the DNA in an expression vector, the recombinant protein can be produced in bacterial, yeast, or animal cells in culture. We carry an extensive line of human, dolphin, murine, bovine, canine, chicken, and other recombinant proteins. All of our proteins are expressed in a yeast system, which has numerous advantages over common E. coli systems. Yeast promotes correct protein folding and post-translational modifications, yielding a recombinant protein with higher bioactivity. These proteins may be used in cell cultures, ELISA, or as Western blot controls.
Choosing Products for Protein Science
When conducting protein biology research, maintaining purity and fidelity is critical to protein purification and extraction. Working with proteins can be tricky, as stray proteases or faulty recombinant DNA expression can lead to major errors in your experiments.Before purchasing reagents or equipment for your laboratory, look carefully at their technical specifications. Not all life science research products are created equal, so it is important to find the products that best fit your needs as well as your price point.
IBI Scientific is a leader among manufacturers and distributors of laboratory products. We hold the exclusiveISI 9001:2015 certification as a manufacturer of life science research products. This means that our equipment, reagents, and other laboratory products meet the highest industry standards. Our commitment to excellence translates into better quality research in your laboratory, giving you the highest level of confidence in the accuracy of your findings.
IBI Scientific is proud to carry a full line of products to facilitate protein science research. Whether you are a large, established laboratory or are just beginning to outfit a new space, we can help you obtain any necessary equipment and supplies at competitive prices. Contact us today to discuss your needs with one of our customer support specialists.